ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] last login.ibiblio.org announcement, I promise

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] last login.ibiblio.org announcement, I promise
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:23:50 -0400 (EDT)

I keep sending messages as we're working things out in the office. We've had a security incident on login.ibiblio.org, and have no choice but to reinstall the machine.

login.ibiblio.org was patched for known vulnerabilities, but as we can never be certain of every modification made to the machine, we have decided to freshly install RHEL 5.2. Despite the hassle of an OS upgrade on short notice, this will put us in better shape looking forward.

We apologize for the short notice and the trouble, but... we're not happy about it either. We'll send out a follow-up announcement when things are back in shape, and thank you for your patience. As I previously mentioned, we're starting tomorrow morning at 6:00 a.m. EDT, but you may wish to avoid logging in to login.ibiblio.org until it comes back up tomorrow, including FTP and SSH.

thank you, 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org systems 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] last login.ibiblio.org announcement, I promise, Don Sizemore, 10/20/2008