ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] ibiblio e-mail and login outage, Saturday December 1st

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] ibiblio e-mail and login outage, Saturday December 1st
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:45:13 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone,

We will be taking down mail.ibiblio.org and login.ibiblio.org for a few hours this coming Saturday, December 1st in order to synchronize the ibiblio user home directories onto our new Netapp filer.

We will begin at 9:00 a.m. EST and our mail and login services will be down long enough to do a final synchronisation - which may take a couple of hours. During this time, you will not be able to check your ibiblio e-mail account or access login.ibiblio.org.

Our transition onto the new Netapp will help alleviate the performance bottleneck we encounter at peak times as our servers wait on the primary Netapp's disks.

Our Web, FTP, rsync, BitTorrent and other services will not be affected by this outage - we're taking down mail and login to prevent any filesystem modifications during the transition.

If the timing of this outage poses an insurmountable difficulty to you for any reason, please do let us know via http://www.ibiblio.org/help and we'll work something out.

thank you, 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org systems 919.962.8071 f