ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Help plan 15 years of ibiblio/sunsite

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Help plan 15 years of ibiblio/sunsite
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:51:49 -0500 (EST)

Recently I posted a link to the 2006 report from ibiblio:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/wiki/index.php/2006_of_ibiblio

Now I invite you to help us plan our 15th year upcoming October, 2007

Please add to the 15 year wiki
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/wiki/index.php/15_Years_of_sunsite/Metalab/ibiblio
and/or add a blog comment here
http://ibiblio.org/pjones/wordpress/?p=1890
and/or send me your ideas.

October 31, 2007 will be the 15th anniversary of the first public demo of sunsite.unc.edu at Educom in Baltimore. Yes there was a server named sunsite in place as early as May 1992 but our big debut and announcement was in October.

As some of you will remember, that announcement coincided with the complete and literal frying of the campus internet connectivity and if not for Judd Knott's quick thinking there would have been no demo at all.

After the pipes -- steam and water -- broke above the routers and boiled the damn things like plastic and silicon lobsters, Judd had our server and disks driven out the MCNC and reconfigured so the demo could go on. Now we're back with servers at MCNC...

I'm asking you to help us think of ways that we can celebrate those 15 years. Some of the ideas might be related to raising funds, some related to raising our profile internationally, some related to raising support, and some to raising a bit of anniversary hell even.

Thanks

Paul Jones
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/blog/
pjones AT ibiblio.org voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071

  • [ibiblio-announce] Help plan 15 years of ibiblio/sunsite, Paul Jones, 02/12/2007