ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] mysql2.ibiblio.org database upgrade postponed

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] mysql2.ibiblio.org database upgrade postponed
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:16:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi ibiblio-announce,

On last Friday, Ken sent out the following announcement:

"There are a few minor differences between MySQL 4.0 and 4.1 but they should be transparent to you. While any upgrade carries with it the danger of spoiling working code, upgrades must take place for bug and security fixes. We will work with everyone on a case by case basis to fix any problems you may have after the upgrade."

After some discussion in the office, we have decided to postpone this upgrade until after the Thanksgiving holiday. As several of our student workers are leaving town and we will be running with a skeleton crew for much of the break, we would rather not risk the myriad problems that could result from such an upgrade, some of them small, and some not so small:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html

Upon everyone's return on Monday, we will send out another note regarding the status of mysql2.ibiblio.org. We appreciate your patience, and apologize for the trouble.

thank you, 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org n stoof 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] mysql2.ibiblio.org database upgrade postponed, Don Sizemore, 11/20/2006