ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] where we're at

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] where we're at
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 05:10:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

We have had a long but accomplished day! All of our production machines have been removed from our former data center and have been (mostly) racked in our new datacenter at MCNC. We are up and running on our new cluster hardware, mail and mailing list services are back up, our database servers have returned, and we will be continuing to work through the weekend to re-assemble our site in its new home.

There are currently some problems with the new site, mostly related to DNS. These should iron themselves out as the new DNS settings propagate - we had requested that the time-to-live for our DNS be shortened for the weekend so that everyone would pick up the changes quickly, but unfortunately many servers still see our old address.

As of this writing several servers are still offline - stats.ibiblio.org, our NASA video fileserver and our Quicktime streaming server among them. There is a problem with the power in one of our racks, and as soon as we can get this resolved we hope to bring the servers online.

We appreciate your patience through this major transition for our archive. Again we will work through the weekend to continue to iron things out, and are ecstatic to be both in our new datacenter and on our new hardware.

thank you, 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org n stoof 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] where we're at, Don Sizemore, 09/09/2006