ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Upgrade Notice: Moveable Type Users

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Fred Stutzman <fred AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: webgroup AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Upgrade Notice: Moveable Type Users
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:48:06 -0500 (EST)

Greetings (This message is for users of Moveable Type at ibiblio):

Recently, it was shown that Moveable-Type's comment utility was vulnerable to being exploited for spam purposes on the internet.

What this means is that if spammers knew you had Moveable Type, they can use your site to launch spam attacks from the ibiblio server. This is very nasty for our systems and causes them to be very slow.

We've had to implement emergency measures of sorts to protect our systems. As of 11PM EST tonight, requests to mt-comments.cgi are being blocked. This protects us from being exploited.

Now, you might say, this is awful rude of you folks to block us like this. The good news is, it is very easy for us to unblock you! Simply, if you upgrade to Moveable Type 3.15 (The Secure, New Version), we can unblock your comments utility.

Please keep in mind, we haven't blocked your site, just the commenting utility. When users click on the commenting function, they will be redirected to a page that tells them they don't have permissions to execute the file (a standard apache page).

We feel very bad for those who have been affected, and we know that constantly upgrading your software to deal with these virus writers and spammers is a big pain. It affects the WHOLE internet and all ISP's, and many smart people are working to fix the problems. Right now, we've implemented an approach that affects the least amount of ibiblio users, and preserves our site for the most possible ibiblio users. We hope you understand.

To have your site's comments unblocked, simply send a message to help AT ibiblio.org telling us you have upgraded. We will unblock your comments soon thereafter.

Thanks for understanding.

Fred

--
Fred Stutzman