ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Mail server config change

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Mail server config change
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:14:52 -0400 (EDT)

What: Reverse DNS checks will be relaxed on mail.ibiblio.org
When: Wed, 28 July 2004, 9 AM EDT (local time)

A couple of weeks ago, a configuration change was made to the ibiblio mail
server that required a verifiable DNS entry for foreign mail servers
sending email to mail.ibiblio.org. Email from servers without valid DNS
entries is currently rejected.

Some of you have been pleased with the reduction in spam, but a number of
you have reported problems with this configuration. After much debate, we
have decided to remove the DNS check restriction. The ibiblio mail server
will, once again, accept mail from systems without DNS records.

During the next couple of weeks, however, we will be closely monitoring
email traffic. The amount of incoming spam has been unusually high
recently and has degraded services on a number of occasions. We plan to
evaluate options to ensure that we maintain acceptable performance levels
on the email systems. We hope to engage in an ongoing discussion and to
find a solution that is both flexible and effective.

Depending on the level of email and spam in the next several days, we may
revisit which checks are enforced on the mail server. In the meantime, to
help filter spam from your inbox, please see the ibiblio spam resources
web page:

http://www.ibiblio.org/spam/

And, as always, if you have any questions, please send email to
help AT ibiblio.org.

Thanks,

-John R.

  • [ibiblio-announce] Mail server config change, John Reuning, 07/27/2004