ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] sunsite.unc.edu -> virtual domain

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] sunsite.unc.edu -> virtual domain
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:32:39 -0400 (EDT)

What: The sunsite.unc.edu email domain will be changed from global to
virtual.
When: Tuesday, 3 Aug 2004, 9 am

This change was proposed a month or so ago on webgroup as part of our
ongoing spam fighting efforts. The response was positive, so we'll be
switching the aging (but revered) sunsite.unc.edu email domain to a
virtual domain.

What does this mean? Currently, any ibiblio user account receives mail at
<username>@ibiblio.org, <username>@metalab.unc.edu, and
<username>@sunsite.unc.edu. This behavior is the result of the various
identities of ibiblio through the years. Since most of you don't receive
mail at your @sunsite.unc.edu address, you only receive spam to that
address. This change will remove all @sunsite.unc.edu email addresses
except for those that are explicitly defined.

What do you need to do? If you don't want to receive mail at a
@sunsite.unc.edu email address, no action is required. Hopefully, all
you'll see is a small decrease in spam to your inbox. However, if you
actively use your @sunsite.unc.edu address, just email help AT ibiblio.org
and let us know. We'll make sure that it keeps working. After the
discussion on the webgroup list, several of you requested to keep your
sunsite email addresses. We haven't lost those names.

If you have any questions, please email help AT ibiblio.org and ask away.

Many thanks,

-jrr

  • [ibiblio-announce] sunsite.unc.edu -> virtual domain, John Reuning, 07/22/2004