ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] SSL certificates to be reissued

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] SSL certificates to be reissued
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:47:17 -0000

What: SSL certificate changes on public.ibiblio.org and mail.ibiblio.org
When: Monday, 17 Nov 2003, 9 am EST

The SSL certificates for public.ibiblio.org and mail.ibiblio.org will be
reissued. We have an ibiblio CA certificate that is being used to
generate server SSL certificates. http://www.ibiblio.org/ca

More detailed explanation:

As you know, ibiblio offers several SSL-encrypted web and mail
services. Specifically, you can check your mail via pop3s and imaps,
the secure versions of regular pop and imap. In addition, webmail, the
collection index management pages, and smtp authentication use SSL.

In the past, we've used self-signed certificates for these services to
avoid the expense of Verisign, Thawte, etc. We've now generated our own
ibiblio CA (certificate authority) certificate that will help us better
manage our secure services.

What does this mean? Instead of accepting each ibiblio SSL certificate,
all you need to do is import the ibiblio CA certificate into your
applications. After that, changes to individual ibiblio SSL
certificates should be transparent. The CA certificate is available at

http://www.ibiblio.org/ca

and we have instructions for Mozilla, Internet Explorer, and Mac OS X.
You should consult your email client's documentation for specific
instructions on importing a CA certificate.

If you have any questions, please email help AT ibiblio.org

Thanks,

-John R.

  • [ibiblio-announce] SSL certificates to be reissued, John Reuning, 11/11/2003