ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Home directory usage

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Home directory usage
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:56:57 -0500 (EST)

>From time to time the volume that contains the ibiblio user home
directories runs a little tight on space. When this happens, we look at
usage and send notes to folks who have the largest directories. Most of
you are doing fine, but some of you received a note today.

I want to explain in more general terms our idea of what should go where
on the ibiblio systems. We provide accounts for you to share information
with the world. I'm sure you know that we don't supply personal file
storage space for music, video, software collections, coursework, etc..
However, we also don't monitor your activities or object to reasonable
personal usage.

Your collections should all have directories in the /public/html or
/public/ftp volumes. We allocate lots of disk space there because that's
where the public content goes. Your home directories are meant for
content staging, email, temporary storage, and limited non-public use.
This volume isn't given much space because the bulk of the data should be
in a public directory.

We've discussed enforcing quotas, but needs fluctuate. Someone may need 6
GB of temporary storage before moving the content to a web directory.
Also, if you're concerned about losing data and keep a copy of your
collection in your home directories, we run nightly backups. We want to
provide good service and take steps to ensure data integrity.

The bottom line here is that our system resources aren't unlimited. We
happily provide services for free to further the public domain and
community interests. We're a community sharing resources, so please be
responsible with your disk usage.

Many thanks,

-jrr

  • [ibiblio-announce] Home directory usage, John Reuning, 11/07/2003