ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Be IN the Creative Commons Featured Content Registry

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Neeru Paharia <neeru AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Be IN the Creative Commons Featured Content Registry
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:01:48 -0500 (EST)

Neeru Paharia <neeru AT creativecommons.org> writes to invite you to license
your contents under the new Creative Commons lincenses soon so that you
and your work can be featured in the big Creative Commons roll-out.

This is different from the previous CC mailings which were asking you to
try out an comment -- This one is live, working, and is ready for you to
take part in the grand announcement! If you want reliable licenses (and
nice publicity for your content), sign up now!

Paul

Details below for Neeru:

Dear Friends of Creative Commons,

We are quickly approaching our launch date and are moving forward with
our integration plans. A key component of this effort is for us to load
metadata about your content into our Featured Content Registry. This
way, when a user visits our site they can search our catalog and find a
URL to your site, where they would find Creative Commons licensed
content. To get a better idea, you can visit the Featured Content
Registry on our beta site at:
http://new.creativecommons.org/works/

The following instructions are *only* to get us your metadata. They
are not instructions to tag your work with a Creative Commons logo or
URL. That will happen later when the site is ready to go live in early
December. We would *really* appreciate if we could get this
information from you as soon as possible so that we can be sure our
site will be loaded with pointers to good content on the day of our
launch in December. The current deadline for getting us the metadata
needed to profile your work in our Featured Content Registry is
November 25th. I really appreciate your help, and please let me know
how I can help you get this information together.

Here are the basic steps:

Step 1: Identify works to be licensed with Creative Commons licenses

Step 2: Choose a specific license by walking through the license
application at http://new.creativecommons.org/license/ or by referring
to the list of licenses at the bottom of this email.

Step 3: Please collect the following eight attributes about each work :

1) title: title of the work
2) creator: the full name of the creator
3) copyright_holder: the full name of the copyright holder
4) copyright_date: the copyright date
6) format: the format of the work (image, text, audio, video)
7) URL: the URL where the work is to be found
8) license_names: license name(by,sa,by-sa,etc..) under which you want
to license the work, abbreviations or full names (get this from step 2)

Step 4: Send us the information. I've included an Excel spreadsheet
with the 8 attributes for you to fill in. If you are exporting
metadata from an database we can also take the data as comma separated
values.

SPECIAL NOTES:

license_names: Here are the 11 license possibilities, both full names
and abbreviations.

by: attribution
by-nd: attribution, no derivative works
by-nd-nc: attribution, no derivative works, noncommercial
by-nc: attribution, noncommercial
by-nc-sa: attribution, noncommercial, share alike
by-sa: attribution, share alike
nd: no derivative works
nd-nc: no derivative works, noncommercial
nc: noncommercial
nc-sa: noncommercial, share alike
sa: share alike

Note:

At some point you will have to make sure all works have the URL of the
license or the Creative Commons logo prominently placed near the work
on your site, but don't worry about this now -- we'll take care of it
later.

We're almost there! Please let us know how we can help you help us get
our Registry full of your great content in time for our launch. Thanks.

Neeru Paharia

Assistant Director
Creative Commons
559 Nathan Abbott Way
Stanford, CA 94305

650.724.3717
creativecommons.org

  • [ibiblio-announce] Be IN the Creative Commons Featured Content Registry, Paul Jones, 11/08/2002