ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] /export/sunsite filesystem migration

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] /export/sunsite filesystem migration
  • Date: 07 Nov 2002 10:36:47 -0500

What: Migration of /export/sunsite to a dedicated file server
When: TBD (Around 15 Jan, 2003)

Brief Summary:

We plan to migrate /export/sunsite to a dedicated file server and
decouple it from web services. Benefits include increased availability
and security for user home directories. Main impact is that any
reference to /export/sunsite will not work on the web server. Use
http://www-dev.ibiblio.org/ to test.

Detailed Description:

As you've noticed, we've been doing lots of work on the ibiblio server
infrastructure. Part of our project plan is the migration of
/export/sunsite, the filesystem for ibiblio user home directories, to a
dedicated file server. After the migration, this filesystem will no
longer be available to the web server. The main benefit of this change
will be increased availability for contributor services, such as file
uploads and shell access. In addition, separating home directories
(private space) from web services (public access) will provide increased
security for non-public files.

"What does this mean for my site?" you ask. It means that any web site
content on /export/sunsite must be moved to /public/html. For example,
some sites have log files or config files in /export/sunsite
directories. These files must be moved into your site's /public/html
directory in preparation for this migration. To help you test your web
site for problems, we've set up an ibiblio.org development web server:

http://www-dev.ibiblio.org/

This will let you check your site (except virtual hosts) for problems.
We'll help by checking for symlinks. For virtual hosts, we'd like to
start creating "www-dev" sites for testing and development. This will
be a permanent service in the future, so this seems like a good time to
set it up.

Send mail to help AT ibiblio.org if you need a www-dev host set up or if
you have questions.

Thanks,

John Reuning
ibiblio.org

  • [ibiblio-announce] /export/sunsite filesystem migration, John Reuning, 11/07/2002