homestead - Re: [Homestead] Global Warming?

  • From: "Chris Clarke" <hstead AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Global Warming?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:37:57 -0400

Glacier-no glacier-glacier-no glacier for the past 2 million years...
Two questions need to be answered.

What causes ice ages?

The most likely cause is astromonical and the physical arrangement of the land surface on the planet. Again, the ice age thing is a pattern recognition statement: "Long" ice ages followed by shorter interglacial periods. During the interglacial periods have been periods of profoundly cold periods (Younger Dryas, etc.)

What did the climate look like at the end of the interglacial period?

End of the interglacial? We know that the climate about 11K years ago was about 1-2C warmer than today. This appears to have been even warmer than the "Midieval Climate Optimum" around 1000AD. (Not much after that the nobles of France were complaining about how good the wine of England was and how it was impacting them... )

What happened 100 years ago or 1000 years ago (10k?) isn't going to
tell us much about what is going on right now historically speaking.
The climate changes 10k years into the last few interglacial periods
would be really useful.

I think that the concern is that the amount of forcing that CO2/Greenhouse gasses is providing is very large, possibly outweighing the normal cyclical glacial cycling. I do know that when data was examined after 9/11, it found found that the additional cloud cover due to air traffic REDUCED the impact of global warming (and increased the diurnal temp. swings)

On homesteading note, why do black widow like MY garden? Not the wood pile where I'd expect them, but RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY TOMATOES AND BASIL? Second big nest of the year for them.... Dozens of little killers... :)
Had to take care of them. Wife thinks I'm crazy.

I hate black widows...

Chris
Doesn't appear we got frost last night
Apex, NC