homestead - Re: [Homestead] Birthers

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Birthers
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 15:44:35 EDT

This was just a publicity stunt aimed at fixing the damage Obama did to his
image with his comment about police acting stupidly. If not for his bad
press
it would not have taken place. I am certain that any president, black or
white
who makes a rash statement demeaning a police force, with no information
on what happened would expect to be questioned about it.

I have met Mr. Gates, and read many of his writings. I helped host a
conference
in Atlanta that he was a part of. Knowing that he is producing a
documentary on
profiling currently, I am not at all surprised that he said what he did,
well perhaps
the yo mama reference was a bit over the top. The 911 call was totally
innocuous
and the police reacted the same way they would around here as well, I have
family
members in law enforcement and a good friend in the FBI who all agree it
was handled
fairly well. If Mr Gates house was being robbed, the police showed up and
that was
a robber on the other side of the door refusing to open it, using racial
slurs, and
insulting the officers mother, would Mr Gates expect the police to just say
"Oh, sorry
we bothered you" turn on their heel and leave?? I imagine he would be suing
the dept.
for not stepping up the questioning. The police ALWAYS are supposed to see
the person they are
speaking with, what if that robber just slid Mr. Gates Id, taken from the
hostage out and
claimed to be him? The police should accept his word and leave? I am sure
we will
all be seeing much more on the incident in the documentary, so I will just
wait for that.

Drew

In a message dated 8/1/2009 2:23:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,