homestead - Re: [Homestead] spaghetti squash

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] spaghetti squash
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 10:13:17 -0400

Leslie; it sounds like you have a green thumb for curcubits!

I have a lot of melons in the greenhouse, climbing into the rafters, with the melons hanging in little hammocks so they don't pull the vines down. My squash are finally setting fruit, but it's less than 2 months till our first frost. The Baby Hubbards will ripen by then, and there are a lot of them, but I don't know if the larger squash will develop in time.

My peppers and eggplant gave up waiting for warm weather (it's still not here; we rarely get out of the 70's), but everything else is doing amazingly well, considering the cool weather, little sun, and lots of rain. I can't go out without boots...no gardening in sneakers this year. I have standing water everywhere because the ground is saturated and won't absorb any more. The raised beds are still draining well, but the paths have a couple inches of water.

Everything seems to be taking longer than usual, with the lack of sun, but looks good. Potatoes are still blooming (the plants are the biggest I've ever seen), and won't be ready to dig for probably a month. I'm growing celery for the first time, and it LOVES this weather. Even the onions and leeks are doing well (I didn't think they liked so much wet). The Big Beef tomatoes are starting to ripen, with the Abe Lincolns right behind. The tomato plants are huge and heavy, and starting to pull the stakes over; I can't tie them up as fast as they are growing. The Rose and Mortgage Lifter tomatoes are just setting fruit. Today I will harvest my garlic from the mud (not the way it's supposed to be done...garlic is suposed to be dry toward the end, but even with all the rain, it looks good).

The ground is so squishy, and it rains at least every other day, so I haven't mowed the lawn in a couple of weeks. It looks like a jungle.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>