homestead - Re: [Homestead] a musical question

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] a musical question
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:50:02 -0800

A basic (lap, mountain, Appalachian) dulcimer is the easiest instrument in the world to play! It sits on your lap and you strum with one hand and press down on the strings with the other using a "noter." You can get all different types of tones by using different "noters," where you place it between the frets and even how you hold it. A "noter" can be something as simple as a popsicle stick or as fancy as a porcelein or crystal slide. I usually use a hardrock maple dowel but if I've misplaced it (quite frequently, OAD, doncha know <g>), I simply use my fingers.

They really are easy to learn. My mother was beyond musically challenged and I taught her how to play the dulcimer!

Here's some links:
http://www.folkofthewood.com/page5305.htm
http://www.jennywileydulcimers.com/Lessons/
http://www.gilamountaindulcimers.com/lessons.htm