homestead - Re: [Homestead] Real estate market analysis, 7/24/08

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Real estate market analysis, 7/24/08
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:58:23 -0500

On Jul 27, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

So, again in case I have not communicated well here, my point isn't
(necessarily) that it's all gloom and doom and the "economy" will continue a downward
bottomless spairal. Rather that the economy isn't any longer synonymous with
real estate and we might be (likely are) in a social shift where housing (as we
know it) could be dropped entirely by the wayside and wealth and prestige is
measured by something entirely other. In that view of things, there indeed is
no bottom to the real estate market.

The economy has long been affected by, but has never been synonymous with real estate.

Social shifts have been going on for forever and will continue to do so, forever.

As for wealth and prestige, while virtual reality and other computer miracles require less real estate than many prior technologies, land space and its development of housing and commercial and public and governmental constructions will continue long after currently predicted happenings.

No matter how badly people act, no matter how much greed motivates them, no matter how many bad decisions they make, the residential housing sector of the national economy will continue much as it has. Of course it will change; it has always changed. Of course it will rise and fall; it has always risen and fallen. But, unless humans find a better place to keep out rain, snow, heat and cold, to sleep at night and prepare food and eat with their families, houses will continue to be a vital part of their lives. Houses are, at our present moment in social evolution, essential. Until population reduces, there will be an increased need for housing.

And, contrary to those who like to play word games, the three most important elements of real estate value are still location, location, and location. And that itself may appear to be a word game, but it is not. It is an expression of the fact that land cannot be moved, that population and climate and employment and other elements are all critical to how people choose their residential locations.