homestead - Re: [Homestead] Localism, was Teamsters endorse Obama

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Localism, was Teamsters endorse Obama
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:46:30 -0800

At 2/23/2008, you wrote:

I only used it to show the vulnerability of relying on local food
production. I happen to be a big advocate of local food production,
but I think it is insane to rely on it and not have alternative
supplies.

The problem with the Irish Potato was that it was a single genetic variety. A pathogen would then attack and take most of the crop until a new variety came along. There were several Potato Famines over the course of the century. At one time the Irish Immigrant was hated more than the Hispanic immigrant of today. Many of our early immigration laws were designed to control the Irish on the east coast and the Chinese on the west.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com