homestead - [Homestead] Earth charity

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Earth charity
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:01:53 -0700

Earth charity

Chris and I buy organic and wild foodstuffs almost exclusively. These foods cost substantially more than non-organic food. So why do we spend so much more than we must?

There are three reasons for spending food money as we do. The first is health benefits. We don’t buy disease treatment insurance; we buy healthful food. The second reason is to reward farmers so they will keep producing top-quality food. The third reason, which I think of as an investment, is Earth charity.

For instance: we buy eggs that are from free-range hens that are fed all organic feed and no antibiotics. We pay about three dollars per dozen for these eggs. We could buy ordinary eggs laid by caged hens fed a non-organic diet for a dollar a dozen. That is a two-dollar-per- dozen premium. Some would say such an expenditure is foolish. Some would use stronger words.

Here is my calculation: We pay a dollar to the hens, we pay a dollar to the farmer and we pay a dollar toward Earth charity. We want happy hens laying healthful eggs. We want happy farmers who produce organic food to keep doing it. And we believe it makes sense to donate to Earth charity.

What does Earth charity mean? What does that last dollar do? Lots of things; I'll just name a few. It ensures that there are fewer chemicals floating in the air, being breathed by my fellow humans. It means fewer chemicals flowing with eroding soil down to streams, rivers, lakes and ocean, thence to be ingested by the wild fish we eat. It means chicken manure spread by the hens feeds the soil which helps to maintain a thriving soil community, which produces healthier plants for the hens to eat. I'm sure you will think of more. Bottom line: we think Earth charity is a good investment.

I once read a saying that goes something like this: We do not inherit the land from our parents; we borrow it from our children.