homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bartering..Tolderance

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bartering..Tolderance
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:57:03 EST

> The magic word around here is tolerance. Usually, as has been in the
> past even for me, people leave because the tolerance is knee deep.

There's another aspect that keeps lists civil and useful. The latter being
the most important. Don't use the filters "right" and "wrong", "best" and
"worst" as the default way of viewing anything said. That leads to taking
very
impersonal things like peatmoss and dew personally. Rather deal with ideas
on
homesteading as "If you do A you get the results of A, if you do B you get
the
results of B." Plenty of room for new info, debate, and learning within
that
paradigm without getting people's feelings caught like fingers in a mousetrap.

Looniness is OK, so long as the other participants are free to say, "That's
loonie!" The trick is conducting the conversation so that what's said is
"THAT's loonie" and not "YOU're loonie." .... the joint responsibility of
both the
writer and the reader.

James </HTML>

  • Re: [Homestead] Bartering..Tolderance, Clansgian, 11/21/2007