homestead - Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:34:27 -0400

> All of Georgia's reservoirs are so low that boating is prohibited in
> north GA lakes. Even wells are drying up. I hate to say it, but we
> need a few tropical storms for rain.

I live in south central Virginia, about 30 miles north of the North
Carolina border. We are right behind you on the drought. It's bad.

> Do you think it is right for the Corp of Engineers to continue to
> release water in order to protect endangered species like freshwater
> mussels and sturgeon when millions of people across 3 states rely on the
> reservoir from which the water is drained?

People should probably prevail. Unfortunately, our leaders react to
these issues rather than proact. They should have been planning for
the likelyhood of a drought all along. On the national news, it was
reported that they made water in restaurants on request only and were
saving water that was not drank to mop floors. They should have been
doing that all along.

People in Richmond that live on the lake that is the reservoir are
upset because they are being stopped from pumping water from the
drying up lake to water their lawns. When the shore of the lake moved
away from the pipes they pump from, they just added extensions and
kept pumping. Their drinking water comes from this lake. One guy
interviewed on the news said he did not think that he was doing
anything illegal or immoral.

I said that people should prevail, unfortunately, our species is like
a plague of locusts on the land.

Rob - Va