homestead - Re: [Homestead] If any wish could come true

  • From: VATOCO6 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] If any wish could come true
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:24:32 EDT

Gene, Marie and Lynda,

My husband and I have done our best to raise children we like as well as
love. We decided to homeschool because we felt it the best method of
education
for the children, as well as our wanting to be around each other. We have
done
this despite my having worked full-time all these years. We homeschool
through high school. I never understood the "Thank God, they're back in
school!"
attitude so pervasive among parents I know, either.

We've always taken in "orphans and strays", too...of the human AND animal
kind. Gay, straight, race, creed matters not to us. But what DOES matter is
if
the person is interested in making a better life for themselves. It makes
life
richer for us as well.

And people do seem to tell us what great kids/people we are raising/have
raised.

Brag alert:

Oldest son is doing a paid internship for the House Committee for Science
and Technology. He wants to be an honest politician, which I keep telling
him
is an oxymoron. He is in his last year at George Mason Law, and is co-editor
of the Law School Newspaper.

Second son is a supervisor for UPS and is a homeowner at 22, having signed
on to buy a condominium. He got a rent-to-own deal, which converted to a
mortgage in August. He's also an Eagle Scout. He opted not to go to college,
but
seems to be doing just fine anyway.

Third son is a kind, quiet kid who LOVES volunteering at the local museum,
and would like to major in computer science at college.

Youngest and only girl loves all creatures, great and small, no matter how
gross her mother may find them. She is a natural-born veterinarian or perhaps

entomologist. Of course, we are in Hormone Hell together, she being 12 and I
being 47, but it seems to be helping us to bond even more.

I miss having little ones underfoot, but perhaps someday we'll have
grandchildren to spoil.

Tammy in Colorado