homestead - [Homestead] If any wish could come true

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] If any wish could come true
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:52:23 -0500

I had an epiphany moment today. I was shopping in WalMart for groceries and other necessaries like DCon, to keep the mice and rats from eating the wiring on my puddle jumper truck so I wouldn't again have to pay for two hours of mechanic time to fix all the chewed wires. I had thought it was "the computer," which has now become the buzz fix; used to be "needs a tuneup."

Anyway, I was looking for something or other and in my aisle I passed a youngish couple probably in their mid-thirties. Dad was a big guy, over six feet tall and no doubt over two hundred pounds. Their child of about two years old was seated in the shopping cart. As I passed them the father addressed his son: "You know, you're beginning to really piss me off!"

I was shocked but I bit my tongue and walked on. About ten feet further on I decided that if I could have only one wish come true it would be that the only people who are gifted with children really, really, really want them, cherish them, and do their best to raise them to be happy, confident, humans who feel good about themselves.