homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bandsaw Mills

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bandsaw Mills
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:20:36 -0600

I'd get on the milling list and go thru the archives
mailto:milling-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com .

Thanks. I have subscribed. Now waiting while someone decides if I am acceptable for membership. I wonder if they check with ex-wives. That reminds me of my new T-shirt, which says: "If a man speaks in a forest where no woman hears, is he still wrong?" Chris gave it to me, which shows that she has a sense of humor, which is one reason we just celebrated twenty years together.

Plus take a look at http://www.norwoodindustries.com/ . If I was
going to buy a new one with limited funds (well, more than I had to
spend) I'd have gotten the Norwood.

Have ordered their info pack.

If I was going to spend big
bucks for one I'd have gone with Woodmizer
http://www.woodmizer.com/en/index.aspx .

Just got their info pack. Their saw is mounted on two posts; the TimberKing is mounted on four posts, which sure looks lots more stable. Woodmizer uses rope versus TimberKing's cable feed. Woodmizer is a bit less expensive.

If your are thinking about a mill have you looked at used ones?
http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/ not only lists used ones for sale
but advice about what type of mill you might want for what you are
planning to do.

Thanks again. Have gone there and read their info; will study more later.

Sounds like fun Gene!

Yeah, fun as long as time and back pain issues stay positive. Yet another potential for Zen moments. Looking forward to being even more independent of low-grade, expensive lumberyard products. Getting hard to buy anything good quality at any reasonable price. I have plenty of high-quality trees and plenty room for drying stuff after cutting. Biggest issue will be getting the logs to the saw down steep hillsides. Thinking maybe a heavy-duty winch and cable.

Thanks for all the good info, Rob.