homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of homesteading

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of homesteading
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:25:58 -0800

It is still raining and we are expecting more. Anyone besides me on the West Coast ancient enough to remember the winter of '64? Sure feels the same and I think I'm beginning to grow moss <g>

We are going to have to transplant some young fruit trees. There was no way to tell that part of the old garden area had standing water in wet years. I mean, wet years around here are scarce as hen's teeth! We have a swamp and short of putting in a French drain it isn't going anywhere until about June or July! The trees are not happy campers!

Water is so hard to find out here that they changed the zoning to 20 acre minimums. It had been 5 acres but they started to have wells run dry!

Go figure, we'd find the only place with a swamp <g> Next thing you know we'll be finding dinaseur bones! We've certainly got enough big rocks from the ice age!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida AT comcast.net>

Rain, rain, rain & more rain. We set a record of 35 or 36 days and
got a one day break then it started again. 1.05" so far today and
18.15 for the previous 30 days this month. It's been wet.
Only went below freezing once this month.
I have to admit that I'm getting tired of the wet.

Glad those trees missed you Lynda, big trees coming down are really something.

Rob