homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post Feb '99 Re: FW: Fenceposts in rock, low-cost (temporary?) animal shelter.

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post Feb '99 Re: FW: Fenceposts in rock, low-cost (temporary?) animal shelter.
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 06:28:59 -0800

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:55:15 -0500
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu

Grandad wrote:

> > All my future fencing will be high-tensile electric so I can do it once and
> > forget it.
> This is a mutually exclusive statement. If it is high tensile
> fence by no means are you able to just forget it. High tensile
> is the most management intensive low maintenance fence there
> is. Why do you think that they recommend putting those
> expensive tension adjustment tool in every line?

>>>tvoivozhd---only to place original tension on the line. The springs maintain
the tension.

> I have installed some high tensile fence and was not impressed.
> the daily maintenance of checking to make sure that it was still
> "hot" and then the investigation of why it wasn't, putting it
> back together where the deer took it out, and retensioning the
> lines regularly. It didn't seem "low maintenance " to me. It
> was more like a full time job.

>>>tvoivozhd---I would check daily or at least weekly to ascertain if it was hot,
though multiple strands without a charge will hold most anything except a bull if
the springs and tension is adequate.

If deer take it out, it is way too small a gage wire, and if it requires frequent
tensioning either the springs are not strong enough, the gage is too small for
the spring tension, or the quality of the wire poor. It shouldn't stretch
significantly.

My next door neighbor to the south put in a high tensile fence over ten years
ago. He is too ill to even think about looking at it or fixing it. The wires
still twang like a violin string when you pluck them. Nothing has ever gotten
through them. It was this fence that convinced me that high tensile was the best
way to go.

> There is no simple fence answer. But 39 inch, 11 gauge, woven
> wire comes the closest.

>>>tvoivozhd---the aforesaid neighbor has twenty bulls in the pasture. Woven
wire on three sides of the pasture is not the slightest impediment to them
without a standoff electrical scare wire which works and replaced the barbed wire
which didn't.

They have never challenged (after the first thrilling experience) the seven-wire
electrified high tensile fence on the fourth side of his property.

> --
> Grandad mailto:grandad AT gte.net Grandad's Farm Magazine
> http://members.xoom.com/Grandad1/grandad.html In the beautiful
> suburbs of Columbia, MO
> http://www.ishmael.com/ You should read some of this
> * All standard disclaimers apply

  • [Homestead] Tvo post Feb '99 Re: FW: Fenceposts in rock, low-cost (temporary?) animal shelter., Rob, 12/23/2005