gmark - Re: [GMark] Mark 15:37-39/ The Torn Veil

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: HStaiti <hstaiti AT aol.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Mark 15:37-39/ The Torn Veil
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:14:55 -0500

James,
My study of Christian origins led me to believe that the New Testament is a collection of the products of various New Testament communities. Mark's final composition (circa 67 CE) and Matthew (circa 85) and Luke (70-90 AD) and John (90 AD) are not Jesus discourses arguments against the Pharisees of his day, but the polemic and apologetic writings of ekklesia's scribes at the beginning of the post 2nd temple period. Regarding the place of the historical Jesus in the Gospel's stratification of narratives, it appears he protested the priestly group which led Israel through its interpretation of Levitical law. What we read in the Gospels, particularly in Like, is a challenge of the ritual purity laws of the land. When he God to Jerusalem, Jesus sealed his destiny when he turned over the money changer's table. He died opposing corrupt and oppressive political/religious power.

The Pharisees, however, were a minor sect at the time of Jesus, as was "the church" in the initial decades after Jesus' crucifixion. Both rose substantially in prominence after the destruction of the Jerusalem and its leaders, first in 70 CE, then in the rebellion in 120 CE. There was a struggle between the ekklesia and the synagogue group as to who would lead in the interpretation of the Israelite Epic, and from what we read in their narratives, it wasn't pretty. More often than not, the Gospel writers characterize and even demonize their opponents in the synagogue. They write of their movement in terms which exalt it above and beyond that of the synagogue group led by the Pharisees. Both groups struggling to lay claims to the Israelite epic would flourish after the rebellion tin the Holy Land in the second century. The synagogue group led by the Pharisees would develop Rabbinical Judaism, and the Messianic movement would become Christianity. It does appear from their narratives that the ekklesia taught believers in antiquity that they had Jesus and did not need the temple. Certainly John presented a replacement theology, as did the author of Hebrews, but I am not so sure narratives like Mark have this in their sites as much. It appears we have allusions to the question between the ekklesia and the synagogue groups as to who is authentically leading Israel in the way of God.

The question both groups had to resolve was how to justify their community's existence without a temple and priests to rule over the people. It appears it wasn't just the Rabbis who were finding ways to continue the community of believers without a these things. Post 70 CE New Testament authors offer us their theological basis for continuing the Israelite Epic without a temple. I understand how passages like Mark 13 could includes assumptions about replacement theology, but I believe it reads more like "we told you so" than the kind of over replacement theology we read in John's Gospel and the Epistle to the Hebrews.