gmark - [GMark] The Markan Sanhedrin's view of Israel in exile

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Crosstalk2 <crosstalk2 AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>, biblical-studies <biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com>, Synoptic-L <Synoptic-L AT bham.ac.uk>
  • Subject: [GMark] The Markan Sanhedrin's view of Israel in exile
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:47:32 -0500

With apologies for cross posting -- but I'd really like to engage as
many minds as possible as quickly as possible on the question below.

Recent writers on the Gospel of Mark (not to mention certain ones on the
HJ) have been arguing that Mark presents Jesus' preaching and ministry
as grounded in the fundamental assumption that Israel is in exile.
Assuming for arguments sake (and FWIW, I think it is a good assumption
given the new exodus themes presented in the prologue of GMark) that
this is the case, should/can we also assume that those whom Mark
portrays as Jesus' opponents, especially those who for him make up the
Sanhedrin, **share** this view?

What would be evidence in Mark that they did? Would the "fact" that "all
of Jerusalem" goes out to hear John, who certainly seems to be
announcing and portraying the "end of exile", be such evidence? Would
the "fact" that members of the Sanhedrin take an interest in Jesus after
takes up John's mantle and announces in a message whose language and
imagery echo and are probably drawn from Second Isaiah? Anything else?

Is there any reason to think that the Markan enemies of Jesus -- who
hold a Psalms of Solomon Son of David Christology (cf. Mk 12:35-37) and
are therefore in anticipation of the purgation of Israel from foreign
domination and the exile like oppression that this signifies -- do not
hold this view?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Yours,

Jeffrey
--

Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
Chicago, IL 60626

jgibson000 AT comcast.net

  • [GMark] The Markan Sanhedrin's view of Israel in exile, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 10/07/2003