gmark - AW: [GMark] Mark and "men". the meaning of ANQRWPOI in GMark?

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "gudrun guttenberger" <info AT gu-gu.de>
  • To: "'Kata Markon'" <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: AW: [GMark] Mark and "men". the meaning of ANQRWPOI in GMark?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:26:13 +0200

There is a link between the "thinking of men" and the way the opponents
do indeed - but in my opinion it's an indirect one:
The connection of the two factors is unfolded by the question: who is
responsible for evil according to Mark? The answer is: men. In Mark's
view God (of course) is responsible for evil in the end: nothing happens
without God's will. But his responsibility is only an indirect one.
Satan is Jesus' antagonist in the first part of the gospel - but he is
beaten the moment Jesus appears. Satan is not powerful enough to do any
serious harm to the Son of God. He is not made responsible for the
passion. (Joel Marcus e.g. diverges in his interpretation of Mark in
this point; he takes up the proposal of James Robinson who interprets
Mark's gospel as an eschatological war between God/Jesus and Satan).
Encountering Jesus implies rejection or belief in Jesus as Son of God
(and Christ and Lord). In Mark's view rejection culminates in the
passion and is the outmost expression of evil will. (That the passion
occurs necessarily - DEI - implies no modification of the evil
intentions of men of course.) The opponents represent the rejection of
Jesus and therefore evil. There is no Satan hiding behind them: what
they do they do as humans.
The opponents represent the rejection of Jesus because of his claim. The
disciples, represented by Peter, represent another form of rejection
(they do represent belief too - the disciples in Mark are ambigious
characters as most scholars think): they do not accept his passion.
Because Jesus is the suffering Son of God according to Mark rejecting
his suffering is as wrong as rejecting his being Son of God. Mark 8:33
demonstrates that this form of rejection is the expression of evil will
as well.
In brief this drift connects the "thinking of men" to the opponent's
thinking in my opinion.
Sorry for my language - I hope you catch what I try to express.

Gudrun

********************************
Prof. Dr. Gudrun Guttenberger
Evangelische Fachhochschule
Fachbereich Religionspädagogik und Diakonie
Blumhardtstr. 2
30625 Hannover
0511 5310 178
Guttenberger AT efh-hannover.de