gmark - Judas

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Judas
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:10:08 -0800

At 12:02 AM -0400 4/17/01, Karel Hanhart wrote:
Since the Judas figure appears to be fictional, the kiss
symbolizes the deeds not only of Caiaphas but also of the highest office holders
of the people of God that succeeded him in Jerusalem.

Firstly, thank you for your interesting post.

I guess I have the same question for you that I had for Ted.
Are there any narrative clues that Judas "represents" any group other than "one of the twelve"?

Your position also seems to be an unusual combination of a "traditional" understanding of Petrine influence behind the gospel, which sees Mark as preserver of tradition, and the less "traditional" understanding that Mark's was a creative author, freely composing material.
I wonder if Peter really did stand close behind the second gospel, how much room for midrash, or other creative activity by John Mark would exist?
--
Peace

Steve Black
Diocese of New Westminster