gmark - Re: gmark digest: April 16, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Karel Hanhart <K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: April 16, 2001
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:31:56 +0200

Printed below, you will find a corrected version of yesterday's reply to
Weeden. The
uncorrected version was inadvertently sent to 'Kata Markon' - it was late at
night.
It contains a number of mistakes in English grammar, in computing errors and
in
other annoying corrigenda. I have blamed Mark for writing the 'Greek of an
immigrant' - my English may illustrate this worldwide phenomenon of clumsily
expressing oneself in someone else's language. Perhaps my writing in faulty
English
may encourage non-English speaking colleagues to participate in the
discussion.
After all, the Gospel is studied in many countries and the United Nations
hasn't as
yet adopted an artificial language, like Esperanto, to serve as a truly
ecumenical
means of communication.
KH

Kata Markon digest wrote:

> GMARK Digest for Monday, April 16, 2001.
>
> 1. Judas Re: gmark digest: March 27, 2001

> Subject: Judas Re: gmark digest: March 27, 2001
> From: Karel Hanhart <K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl>
> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:49:28 +0200
>
> We owe a word of thanks to Ted Weeden for his detailed exposition on the
> pivotal
> figure of Judas. Since I disagree with him on key points, I will try in six
> sections to answer him and also to react to some colleagues writing on the
> subject in Kata Markon last March. Let me start by noting that I side with
> those
> who concluded that Judas is a fictional figure whose 'kiss' must symbolize
> an
> act or acts referred to or alluded to in the narrative world of this oldest
> known
> Gospel. Moreover, in order to be an effective symbol, the kiss must have
> evoked in
> the minds of Mark's Christian Judean audience an event or a sequence of
> historical
> events painful to them, worthy to be symbolized by a deadly 'kiss'.

> I. Thus far, one major element of the narrative world of the story has
> not
> been discussed: the epithet ascribed to Judas early in the story, ' hos kai
> paredoken auton' , who handed him over (3,18) - often wrongly translated
> 'who
> betrayed (= pro-edoken) him'. For the verb 'paradidomi' controls the
> composition of the last two of the three passion predictions.

> The story of the passion - to use an irreverent metaphor - carefully
> follows the
> time - table in
> the third prediction (10,33f.) including the mocking, spitting, flogging and
> killing. [Incidentally, it is in 10,32 that according to Clement of
> Alexandria
> the 'neaniskos' of Secret Mark appeared. And the question arises why
> precisely
> there? I believe, as shown below, that in Mark the youth is the counterpart
> of
> Judas in this 'handing over' process]. The 'kiss' of Judas marks the
> turning
> point from Jesus' active life to his passion. From then on his life turns
> toward
> his death. He is 'handed over' first 'to the high priests' etc (!) as
> predicted
> in 10,33 and afterwards he is handed over to the pagan Pilate by the 'high
> priests, together with the elders and scribes' (15,1). This precise order
> of (a)
> first to the high priests and then (b) to the Gentiles is followed only in
> the
> third prediction (10,33). So the question arises why only in the third
> prediction and why repeat the passion prediction three times at all, while
> modifying its wording? It is, as if Mark - by three times carefully
> [...]

  • Re: gmark digest: April 16, 2001, Karel Hanhart, 04/17/2001