gmark - Is 'Mark' = Marcus and therefore a Roman name?

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jon Forest" <jonforest AT yahoo.com>
  • To: GMark
  • Subject: Is 'Mark' = Marcus and therefore a Roman name?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 21:57:40

Hi all,

I have a silly question, and I'm embarrassed to bother you with it. Matthew
and John are Jewish names; Luke is a Greek name. Marcus, howver, is one of
a handful of Roman first names. How is it that the gospel writer came by
this? Was it common among Jews in this period?

Thanks,

jonforest

  • Is 'Mark' = Marcus and therefore a Roman name?, Jon Forest, 09/02/2000