gmark - Re Purpose of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rikki E. Watts" <rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re Purpose of Mark
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 07:02:45 -0700

Jeff (and others)

I'm sorry if this sounds terribly self-serving, but in my PhD thesis on
Mark, I argued that Mark's opening sentence, as was common in ancient
literature, set out his agenda (cf. Isa 40.3; Mal 3.1/Ex 23.20). I.e. in
keeping with Isa 40.3 he seeks to show that Jesus is the unexpected
fulfillment of the book of Isaiah's long-delayed promises of a new exodus
(unexpected in that even the disciples had a hard time seeing it, largely
due to their expectations, a kind of new exodus secret if you like). This
I think not only explains the oft-remarked three part Markan structure (cf.
the NE pattern in Isa: deliverance, journey of the blind along the way,
arrival in Jerusalem) but also their respective contents.

On the other hand, Israel's refusal of this agent and manner of Yahweh's
salvation and the consequent sidelining of her institutional authorities (Mk
12.1-12; 13) is to be explained in terms of Malachi's warning (3.1; cf. Ex
23.20): if the preparatory "Elijah" was not obeyed (Mk 9.11-13; cf. 1.14a;
6.17-29; 11.27-33) then Yahweh would curse the land (cf. 11.12-14, 20-25;
Mal 3.24 MT).

I think Mark seeks to explain Jesus in terms of Israel's paradigmatic hope
of salvation and at the same time show why it is that institutional Israel
rejected God's saving action in him. Why does he need to do this? Perhaps
he is wrestling with the kind of questions Paul is addressing in Rom 9-11
(if this is from God--Mark: it is!--then why did Israel reject it?--Mark:
hardness of heart) and encouraging Christians to stand firm in the face of
imminent suffering.

The two major English reviews (along with more competent summaries than I
give here) are in JTS 50 (1999) 222-5 and JBL 119 (2000) 140-1. It was
published with WUNT in 1997 and Baker are doing the US release at this
coming SBL in Nashville. (Again, apologies for the shamelessly
self-promotional nature of this post, :-) ).

Sincerely
Rikk

Dr. R. E. Watts (Cantab) Phone (604) 224 3245
Regent College, Fax (604) 224 3097
5800 University Boulevard
Vancouver, BC
CANADA V6T 2E4

  • Re Purpose of Mark, Rikki E. Watts, 04/05/2000