gmark - Re: Peter's Denial

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ted Weeden" <weedent AT atw.earthreach.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Peter's Denial
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:51:46 -0600

Ron Price, in response to Prof. Huarto statement:

> ....... the treatment of Peter seems perhaps intended to
>provide and "exhibit A" example of an apostate who is re-accepted
>by Jesus.

wrote:

The family of Jesus gets no such re-instatement in Mark, nor do the
sons of Zebedee. A more consistent hypothesis is that all the original
leading followers of Jesus were being deliberately denigrated, as
(first?) pointed out by E.Trocme in _The Formation of the Gospel
according to Mark_. This antagonism was related to a rejection of their
Christology, and almost certainly derived directly or indirectly from
Paul's attitude to the "pillars".

Ron can you give me the page citation in Trocme where he takes the position
"that *all the leading followers* of Jesus were being deliberately
denigrated?"
My reading of Trocme is that Trocme believes that Mark is staging a polemic
against a Jewish-Christian group in the evangelist's community which seeks a
rapprochement with Judaism in matters relating to ritual purity,
eschatology, and exorcism. (_La Formation de L'Evangile selon Marc_,
pp.70-95).

The denigration, according to Trocme then, is of the Jerusalen church, not
as far as I can see against " all leading followers of Jesus," which would
include Peter and the disciples. Have I missed something????

Thanks.

Ted Weeden