gmark - Re: Peter's Denial

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ron Price" <ron.price AT virgin.net>
  • To: GMark <GMark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Peter's Denial
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:09:03 +0000

Mark Goodacre wrote:

> ....... We need to bear in mind that we only have access to Q via
>reconstructing on the basis of what is retained in Matthew and
>Luke .......
> ....... The latter point reminds us to have a careful look at Matthew's
>and Luke's witness here in the story of Peter's Denial where we find
>the following five word verbatim agreement: KAI ECELQWN ECW
>EKLAUSEN PIKRWS (Matt. 26.75 // Luke 22.62). This is not
>found in Mark. Perhaps, then, Q knows about the Peter's Denial
>after all and perhaps we should be talking about Q 22.62?

Mark,
I think you're on thin ice here in quoting Luke 22:62 (or mis-quoting
as it's really ....... EXELQWN EXW ....... ;-) perhaps you wrote late at
night, or you were just testing us?! ).
There were several early interpolations into the text of the last
chapters of Luke. (I have additional unpublished evidence that makes
this virtually certain.) This verse was probably another, even though in
this case only a few minor MSS do not include it. On Luke 22:62 as a
probable interpolation I think your colleague D.C.Parker is right (_The
living text of the Gospels_, CUP, 1997, p.160).

Where does that leave Peter's denial?
It leaves Mark as the only independent witness.
My conclusion based on redaction criticism is that the story was
created by Au_Mark to denigrate Peter.

Ron Price

Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

e-mail: ron.price AT virgin.net