freetds - Re: [freetds] Failure to build FreeTDS 1.3-dev on AIX

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: François DANEY <frda AT 4js.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Failure to build FreeTDS 1.3-dev on AIX
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 14:32:36 +0100

On 11/26/20 11:21 AM, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> Il giorno gio 26 nov 2020 alle ore 07:24 François DANEY <frda AT 4js.com> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Good day,
>>
>> I'm having troubles compiling FreeTDS 1.3-dev with unixODBC 2.3.7 as a
>> driver on AIX 7.2.
>> Although the previous versions seem to work fine, it seems the 1.3-dev
>> version has a new set of dependencies.
>> Here is the error message generated by the "autogen.sh" script :
>>
>> # ./autogen.sh
>> which: 0652-141 There is no autoreconf in /usr/bin /etc /usr/sbin
>> /usr/ucb /usr/bin/X11 /sbin /usr/java7_64/jre/bin /usr/java7_64/bin.
>> running in /dbs/64bits/ftm/tmp/freetds1.3-dev/freetds:
>> ./autogen.sh[31]: autoreconf: not found.
>> ./autogen.sh[31]: autoreconf: not found.
>>
>> The issue is that i cannot compile autoreconf on this system due to some
>> vicious circle :
>> 1. autoconf requires a newer version of m4;
>> 2. m4 requires a newer version of automake;
>> 3. automake requires a newer version of m4.
>>
>> Am i missing something ?
>> Is that combination of OS / Software version not supported ?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
> Hi,
> as you are using the development version I suppose you want to change to
> code.
> In this case better if you sort out the autoreconf issue. Autoreconf was
> always needed
> by autogen.sh it's not a new requirement, it's an old development
> requirement.
> If you want just to use FreeTDS and not develop I would advise instead to
> get the
> last stable release (1.2.12 at the moment) already packaged and not needing
> autoreconf
> (as it comes with an already prepared configure script).
> If you still want to use the development version without fixing autoreconf
> on AIX I would
> either:
> - get a snapshot from the website;
> - generate configure from another machine and move to AIX.
>
> To solve the circular issue I think you can do 2 first removing the automake
> needs, just get a package with already prepared configure files and use it
> to compile and install m4.
>
> Regards,
> Frediano
Hello,
  Thanks for your reply, I didn't think about generating the configure
from another machine.
  So I tried it and although I did manage to generate the configure from
another machine, I was still unable to build the software from that
point due to my versions of gperf being to old.
  However I managed to update everything that was required (automake, m4
and autoconf) and thus fixed my circular issue. I can now build FreeTDS.

Thank you for your help.

Best,
  François