freetds - Re: [freetds] Failure to build FreeTDS 1.3-dev on AIX

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Failure to build FreeTDS 1.3-dev on AIX
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 10:21:28 +0000

Il giorno gio 26 nov 2020 alle ore 07:24 François DANEY <frda AT 4js.com> ha
scritto:

> Good day,
>
> I'm having troubles compiling FreeTDS 1.3-dev with unixODBC 2.3.7 as a
> driver on AIX 7.2.
> Although the previous versions seem to work fine, it seems the 1.3-dev
> version has a new set of dependencies.
> Here is the error message generated by the "autogen.sh" script :
>
> # ./autogen.sh
> which: 0652-141 There is no autoreconf in /usr/bin /etc /usr/sbin
> /usr/ucb /usr/bin/X11 /sbin /usr/java7_64/jre/bin /usr/java7_64/bin.
> running in /dbs/64bits/ftm/tmp/freetds1.3-dev/freetds:
> ./autogen.sh[31]: autoreconf: not found.
> ./autogen.sh[31]: autoreconf: not found.
>
> The issue is that i cannot compile autoreconf on this system due to some
> vicious circle :
> 1. autoconf requires a newer version of m4;
> 2. m4 requires a newer version of automake;
> 3. automake requires a newer version of m4.
>
> Am i missing something ?
> Is that combination of OS / Software version not supported ?
>
> Thank you.

Hi,
as you are using the development version I suppose you want to change to
code.
In this case better if you sort out the autoreconf issue. Autoreconf was
always needed
by autogen.sh it's not a new requirement, it's an old development
requirement.
If you want just to use FreeTDS and not develop I would advise instead to
get the
last stable release (1.2.12 at the moment) already packaged and not needing
autoreconf
(as it comes with an already prepared configure script).
If you still want to use the development version without fixing autoreconf
on AIX I would
either:
- get a snapshot from the website;
- generate configure from another machine and move to AIX.

To solve the circular issue I think you can do 2 first removing the automake
needs, just get a package with already prepared configure files and use it
to compile and install m4.

Regards,
Frediano