freetds - Re: [freetds] NTLMv2 Support

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] NTLMv2 Support
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 07:32:37 +0000

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm working for a company that has been using the original Microsoft/Sybase
> db-library in their legacy C/C++ applications for many years.
>
> They are now looking to move away from this library as it has not been
> supported for some time and has a number of issues with more recent
> versions of SQL Server.
>
> As I understand it, the main issue is that the library does not support
> NTLMv2 and so they cannot use it to connect to remote SQL Server instances
> (only to local instances using Named Pipes).
>
> From the Github commit history, user guide, and mailing list archives it
> seems FreeTDS does support NTLMv2 (and Kerberos) so we were thinking it
> might be a suitable replacement.
>
> Before getting too far into it though, I was hoping someone here could
> confirm that they've been able to successfully connect to remote SQL Server
> 2014+ instances using NTLMv2 (from Windows) and Kerberos (from Linux)?
>
> Many thanks,
> Leonard

Hi,
I don't know the exact combination but I don't see any reasons why this
should
not work.
>From Windows the default and best option is to use SSPI which will provide
the authentication options that best suit the system.
>From Linux you can use either NTLMv2 or Kerberos. For NTLMv2 you have to
provide username/password as Linux does not store AD authentication, for
Kerberos you have to have a ticket ready.
Maybe you need to specify some options like "use ntlmv2" (see
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm).
Empty username and password are used for Kerberos authentication.

Frediano