freetds - Re: [freetds] can't build dll with gnutls on Windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Sergio NNX <sfhacker AT hotmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT mailman1.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] can't build dll with gnutls on Windows
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 11:38:17 +0000

> I need a freetds dll that uses gnutls instead of openssl for an old Windows
> application that uses db-library. All of the pre-built binaries I've found
> use openssl instead of gnutls. I attempted to build it myself but
> unfortunately I haven't been able to do so.

I've read on several mailing lists that the use of gnuTLS is strongly
discouraged!

> After getting stuck trying to use CMake I decided to try MingW. And when I
> got stuck with MingW I tried Cygwin. My results with both MingW and Cygwin
> were similar. I am unfamiliar with both of them and there appear to be a
> lot of steps I'm missing between "download and install MingW (or Cygwin)"
> and "build the freetds windows dll".

It sounds really odd that neither VS nor CMake nor MinGW nor Cygwin worked! 😲

> I could give a try, don't think is too hard but I never used GnuTLS on
> Windows;
> can you give some advice?
That sounds that it has never been tested?

We have never used gnuTLS but I've already built it from source successfully
and now I'm compiling freeTDS from master. So far I can see some
'interesting' things going on. I'll report back soon.

Ciao.