freetds - Re: [freetds] Trusted authentication with TDS 7.3 fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: LacaK <lacak AT zoznam.sk>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Trusted authentication with TDS 7.3 fails
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 08:52:57 +0100

Dňa 6.2.2017 o 15:30 Frediano Ziglio napísal(a):
I am trying connect to MS SQL Server 2016 Express using FreeTDS db-lib.

I have compiled db-lib myself from 1.00.11 sources with #define HAVE_SSPI
1
(I do NOT define HAVE_OPENSSL)

I can successfuly connect using standard authentication (supplied user
name
and password).

I can successfuly connect also using empty user name and password
(Trusted
authentication), but only if I set TDS version to 7.1 (freetds71.log).

When I change TDS version to 7.3 I can not connect (with error message
"Adaptive server connection failed") (freetds73a.log).

When I use precompiled DLL from appveyor (which requires OpenSSL:
ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll) I also can NOT connect with TDS 7.3
(freetds73b.log).

See please attached logs.

Any idea why NTLM authentication with TDS 7.3 does not work ?
(I have tried also adding "use ntlmv2 = yes" to FreeTDS.conf, but does
not
seems to help)

Thanks

-Laco.

In tds_sspi_handle_next there are these lines:

if (len < 32)
return TDS_FAIL;

can you try to replace 32 with 16 ?
Yes when I change 32 to 16 all works as expected ... :-)
Thank you very much. May be, that you will commit it also to master branch ?
-Laco.

Sure. Question is mainly if I should remove the check or which number
to put. Maybe 1 ?
Unfortunately I cannot advise, because my knowledge about SSPI is equal zero ;-)
But I guess, that SSPI is generic API which can support various providers, so packet data structure/length depends on provider (authentification mechanism) used.
I have no idea what can be minimal length, but 1 is for sure minimum ;-)
Thank you for the commit ...
-Laco.