freetds - Re: [freetds] Trusted authentication with TDS 7.3 fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Trusted authentication with TDS 7.3 fails
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 08:57:49 +0000

> Hi,
>
> I am trying connect to MS SQL Server 2016 Express using FreeTDS db-lib.
>
> I have compiled db-lib myself from 1.00.11 sources with #define HAVE_SSPI 1
> (I do NOT define HAVE_OPENSSL)
>
> I can successfuly connect using standard authentication (supplied user name
> and password).
>
> I can successfuly connect also using empty user name and password (Trusted
> authentication), but only if I set TDS version to 7.1 (freetds71.log).
>
> When I change TDS version to 7.3 I can not connect (with error message
> "Adaptive server connection failed") (freetds73a.log).
>
> When I use precompiled DLL from appveyor (which requires OpenSSL:
> ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll) I also can NOT connect with TDS 7.3
> (freetds73b.log).
>
> See please attached logs.
>
> Any idea why NTLM authentication with TDS 7.3 does not work ?
> (I have tried also adding "use ntlmv2 = yes" to FreeTDS.conf, but does not
> seems to help)
>
> Thanks
>
> -Laco.

In tds_sspi_handle_next there are these lines:

if (len < 32)
return TDS_FAIL;

can you try to replace 32 with 16 ?

I cannot find any place where this restriction apply and server is
sendind 0x1d (29) bytes of data.
Maybe this restriction was just for NTLM (make sense the same test in
tds_ntlm_handle_next).

Frediano