freetds - Re: [freetds] How to subscribe Microsoft Sql server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How to subscribe Microsoft Sql server
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 15:27:42 +0100

On 5 Sep 2016 11:24, "Eric Yin" <xiaobiaoyin AT outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi Frediano
>

> Thanks for pointing out that FreeTDS supports query notification for
ODBC.

> But now, I just use the DB-Library example to query MS SQL server.
>
> (http://www.freetds.org/userguide/samplecode.htm)
>
> So my question is:
>
> Does DB-Library APIs support query notification?
>
> or is there a workaround way to subscribe MS SQL server using DB-Library
APIs.

Currently there is no way using dblib however being open source patches are
welcome.

Frediano

> Any suggestions are welcome.
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Cheers
>
> Eric
>
> DB-Library for the Tenderfoot - FreeTDS.org<
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/samplecode.htm>
> www.freetds.org
> Example 11-3. Sample Code: DB-Library prolog. extern char *optarg; extern
int optind; const static char syntax[] = "syntax: example -S server -D db
-U user -P passwd ...

> FreeTDS supports query nofitications for ODBC. Just use a recent version.
>
> Frediano

> > Hi Frediano
> >

> > Thank your for timely reply.
> >
> > For query notifications, it depends a SQL Server ODBC driver<
http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc-sql-server-driver/index.html>
which is not free.
> [http://www.easysoft.com/images/easysoft/partners/hp/business-partner.jpg
]<
http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc-sql-server-driver/index.html

> SQL Server ODBC Driver - Easysoft<
http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc-sql-server-driver/index.html

> www.easysoft.com
> SQL Server ODBC driver for Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, SQL Server 2000, SQL
Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server
2016 and SQL ...

> > For trigger, I need to implement a program in windows to subscribe
the notification

> > and then transform this information to Linux. This might be a backup
method.

> > Is there a way to use open source to implement this requirement?
> >

> > Thank

> >> Hi Experts
> >>

> >> I am very new to FreeTDS and SQL server.
> >>
> >> so far I can connect the MS SQL server 2005 from CentOS 7.2 using
C program.

> >> My requirement is that if the SQL database changed (such as
insert ,delete or update some items),

> >> is there a way to know this change?
> >>

> >> After looking through the APIs, I found there is no such APIs to
subscribe specified SQL database table.

> >> Generally, I need to polling this specified table and see if the
return results is the same as the last query, but it

> >> seems a little bit complex and no efficiency.
> >>

> >> So my question is:
> >>
> >> Is there an API to subscribe specified table in SQL server database.
> >>

> >> Any comment and hint is welcome.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Eric
> >>

> > One option is query notifications, for instance see
> > http://www.easysoft.com/support/kb/kb01069.html.
> > How do I use SQL Server Query Notifications from Linux and ...<
http://www.easysoft.com/support/kb/kb01069.html>
> > www.easysoft.com<http://www.easysoft.com>
> > Query notifications, introduced in SQL Server 2005, allow an
application to request a notification from SQL Server when the results of
query change.