freetds - Re: [freetds] Set up client charset with DSN-less configuration

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Set up client charset with DSN-less configuration
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 22:35:43 +0100

On 7 Jul 2016 22:56, "Johnny Yan" <jyan AT tableau.com> wrote:

> Hi Frediano,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Actually we use *W version of APIs internally. I
think the sample was over-simplified. Sorry about that.

> Attached please find the updated sample with SQLDriverConnectW. However
with or without ClientCharset, we didn't see the client charset is set up
correspondingly.

ClientCharset is just for multi/single bytes, don't use utf16.

> Also about UTF-8, I think you implied this is your internal default? Is
there any way to change this?

No but utf8 is automatically converted to whatever you need. Also is used
only for Metadata not for normal data. Normal data are stored in server
encoding for odbc. Odbc internally tell libTDS to use utf8 but not convert
normal data.

> If my understanding is correct, FreeTDS is doing something like <server
charset> <-> UCS-2LE <-> <client charset>. Let me know otherwise though.
What we want is to set the <client charset> to UTF-16 if possible.

Simply use *W function. Depending on driver manager will be utf16 or
ucs4/utf32

Frediano ________________________________________
Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
> Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:34:01 AM
> To: FreeTDS Development Group
> Subject: Re: [freetds] Set up client charset with DSN-less configuration

> > Hi,
> >

> > We're writing data analytic application on Linux using FreeTDS(0.95.81)
with unixODBC(2.3.4) to connect to SQL Server databases. Since we need to
programmatically decide the hosts and other info provided by our customers,
we decided to use the DSN-less configuration and pass the attributes
through the connection string. However it seems that we can't set up the
client side charset correctly.

> > From the attached simple sample code, you could see that we could
connect with that connection string(you need to change the server and
username/password if you want to test it). And we get the following head in
the freetds.log file,

> > log.c:167:Starting log file for FreeTDS 0.95.81
> > on 2016-06-30 18:17:32 with debug flags 0x4fff.
> > iconv.c:328:tds_iconv_open(0xff47a0, UTF-8)
> > iconv.c:187:local name for ISO-8859-1 is ISO-8859-1
> > iconv.c:187:local name for UTF-8 is UTF-8
> > iconv.c:187:local name for UCS-2LE is UCS-2LE
> > iconv.c:187:local name for UCS-2BE is UCS-2BE
> > iconv.c:346:setting up conversions for client charset "UTF-8"
> > iconv.c:348:preparing iconv for "UTF-8" <-> "UCS-2LE" conversion
> > iconv.c:395:preparing iconv for "ISO-8859-1" <-> "UCS-2LE" conversion
> >

> > It seems that the client charset is set to UTF-8. Am I correct? My
understanding is that this is from the LANG env variable since we didn't
specify it anywhere. Right?

> > However when we try to specify the charset in the connection string,
that is appending ";ClientCharset=UTF-16" to the connection string in the
sample, we didn't observe the expected behavior. In another words, we still
see the above bold line which implies that the ClientCharset attr in the
connection string didn't make any difference. Is that expected? Did we do
it correctly? Probably not. If so, how can we make it right?