freetds - Re: [freetds] Weird tsql behaviour

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <james.k.lowden AT icloud.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Weird tsql behaviour
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 13:21:28 -0500

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 20:54:44 +0000
"Thomas, Christopher (LLU)" <cwthomas AT llu.edu> wrote:

> Once I connected to the database server using tsql, the line numbers
> started to go up and up, automatically. About one digit per second.

Those "line numbers" are a counter that appears while a connection
request is pending. It disappears when the connection succeeds. And,
yes, they should be really, really close to 1 second apart! ;-)

Under the hood, libtds connects to the server using nonblocking I/O.
connect(2) usually returns with EINPROGRESS or similar, and the library
uses poll(2) to wait for the connection to complete. You can see
evidence of that in a typical TDSDUMP log.

The above information should be in the man page, but isn't. Sorry
about that, Chief.