freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS build on AIX - No shared objects (.so) generated?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <james.k.lowden AT icloud.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS build on AIX - No shared objects (.so) generated?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 22:47:49 -0400

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 04:23:59 +0000
"Worman, Tyler" <tworman AT med.umich.edu> wrote:

> I copied this to /home/tworman/local/libs (where I installed to) as
> my .so file and now osql and isql work perfect. Thank you so much.

Not at all, you did the work. :-)

> Still unsure why that wasn't copied/linked on the make install like
> it did on linux.

Looks to me like an autoconf error on AIX. Perhaps maybe it could be
we're using an old version of autoconf, one that expects .a to be a
dynamic library. Or something in that vicinity. The linker emitted
a .so, but the install script wasn't looking for one.

> This proves to me though that my build of the .so from the .a file
> didn't work as planned.

Yeah, you would have had to have been lucky with that one. Can be
done, of course, but not usually on the first try.