freetds - Re: [freetds] Out-of-the-box "date format" values for "default" and "en_US" locales

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: matthew.green AT datamartcomputing.com
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Out-of-the-box "date format" values for "default" and "en_US" locales
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 06:44:01 +0000

Hi Geoff,

It is confusing, as you suggest. The part I noted in the link I sent was this
"dd mmm yyyy hh:nn:ss:sss (24 hour clock, Europe default + milliseconds,
4-digit year)". The word default struck me but it does seem ambiguous as it
says Europe default + milliseconds so the default part could be referring to
the 24 hour clock or to the format of the whole thing.

Yes, you're right that from isql you don't get to see milliseconds by
default, the same with the GUI. Having now given it a little more thought I
suppose the lesson is that you should specify the format you want and not
rely on defaults :-)

Incidentally MS SQL Server 2012 (probably other versions too) display the
milliseconds with a full stop by default but you get a colon if you use the
select I gave in my example.

So, I suppose a full stop by default shouldn't cause any controversy. As for
locales.conf.. that I don't know.

Cheers,

Matthew.