freetds - Re: [freetds] Out-of-the-box "date format" values for "default" and "en_US" locales

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Geoff Montee <geoff.montee AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Out-of-the-box "date format" values for "default" and "en_US" locales
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 15:41:59 -0700

Hi Matthew,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 11:48 PM, <matthew.green AT datamartcomputing.com>
wrote:
> The vendor (Sybase) default seems to be with a colon
> (http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc38151.1520/html/iqrefbb/Convert.htm).
>
> select convert(char(40),getdate(),109);

> Apr 14 2015 8:42:03:660AM
>
> Shouldn't we stick to that?

In the page that you linked, I see that the format style you mention
is #9 or #109, but I don't see anything to indicate that it is the
"default." The default style for the convert function in Sybase ASE
16.0 appears to use style "100", which omits the milliseconds
entirely.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc36271.1600/doc/html/san1393050437990.html

The documentation also says that there should be a dot, not a colon,
between the seconds and microseconds by default for the "bigdatetime"
type:

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc36271.1600/doc/html/san1393050393286.html

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc36271.1600/doc/html/san1393050394051.html

Confusingly, it seems to use a colon by default for the "time" type:

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc36271.1600/doc/html/san1393050395880.html

On another note, FreeTDS's documentation page for locales.conf says this:

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/locales.htm

"locales.conf will probably be dropped from FreeTDS one day. Its only
real purpose now is to control the format of date strings. The Right
Way™ to deduce the appropriate default date format is from the
application's locale settings, while allowing an override in
freetds.conf. That's the direction we're headed."

Has any thought been given to how date formatting should be handled
after locales.conf goes away?

Thanks,

Geoff