freetds - Re: [freetds] New release is getting ready

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT t-online.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] New release is getting ready
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:31:40 +0100

Great work on the new release, Freddy!
Reading about James retiring earlier this year made me feel all nostalgic.
Eventually it grew into this strange curiosity to once again see what using
FreeTDS and SQL Server are like these days, rather than just passively
hanging around on the mailing list.

So I ended up installing a copy of SQL Server 2014 and keeping up to date
with your changes the past couple of weeks. I've been playing around with
them and testing many things, both on Mac and Linux, and I have to agree:
FreeTDS feels ready for a new release.
It's very satisfying to store and retrieve emojis. 😃

The one repeating issue I kept running into is that, unfortunately, FreeTDS
really is only the first part of the puzzle for even most developer end
users. It's so easy to wrongly assume that problems start or end with FreeTDS
when, in fact, the library was fine all along, and the problems are further
up the chain. I can only hope a new release of FreeTDS will also spur the
developers of dependent software to issue some long-overdue updates.

Sqsh is still stuck at no higher than TDS 7.1, or it would try and malloc
(unsigned)-1 for any VARCHAR(MAX) column. TDS 7.3 won't actually be usable by
anything interfacing with dblib or ctlib until they too add support for the
SYBMSDATE / SYBMSTIME / SYBMSDATETIME2 / SYBMSDATETIMEOFFSET types. And PHP's
pdo_odbc is in an especially sad state that makes it practically unfeasible.
Rather disheartening to see bugs reported against it 7 years ago seeing no
improvement still.

One thing that did work better with Microsoft's binary-only 2013 release of
“Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server on Linux” is that it supports
binding UTF-8 input parameters as SQL_C_CHAR which will then survive a trip
to an NVARCHAR column server-side to be stored as UTF-16.
FreeTDS instead insists on immediately trying to iconv the UTF-8 to CP1252
(my SQL Server's single-byte encoding).
I did note that this already seems to be on your TODO wishlist, and that even
this could work through FreeTDS if only the clients used WCHARs instead.