freetds - [freetds] Netezza and named pipes

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Roger Hill" <rhill AT hillconsult.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Netezza and named pipes
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 09:04:22 +0100

My first post to the list: please be gentle!

I need to copy a large volume of data every day from a Netezza database to
several other SQL server databases.

I have a solution that works: I use isql to extract to a named pipe, pass the
output through a couple of 'cut' steps to remove unwanted bits and pieces, and
then land the data on disk into a temporary file. I then use freebcp to load
it to the SQL server database. But it's convoluted, and I'm looking for a
better way.

Two questions come out of this: Firstly I know that freebcp did not support
input from named pipes as recently as 2011; is there support for named pipes
now?

And secondly, something like 'datacopy' between heterogeneous databases (in my
case Netezza to SQL server) would eliminate a lot of mucking about on the
intermediate box. Any chance of something like that?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Roger Hill

Roger Hill