freetds - Re: [freetds] What is the latest stable release of freetds?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] What is the latest stable release of freetds?
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 07:47:51 +0100

> Hello, I'm a developer with the MacPorts project. We have a package for
> freetds in MacPorts, currently at version 0.92.405. We updated to this
> version on 2012-11-12. We did this based on the fact that 0.92.405 is the
> largest version number listed at ftp://ftp.freetds.org/pub/freetds/stable/
> . No further changes have occurred in the MacPorts freetds package since
> then.
>

> A few days ago it was brought to our attention that 0.92.405 is 1.5 years
> old and that many newer stable versions have been released since then,
> numbered in the 0.91 series.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43700
>

> Confusion regarding freetds version numbering and determining what the
> latest stable version is has been expressed before:
>
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2013q4/028733.html
>
> The concern raised in that thread -- that the freetds-stable.tgz file
> linked from the freetds.org homepage is version 0.91 from 2011 and many
> newer versions have appeared in the stable ftp directory in the years since
> then -- remains unresolved. FreeCode also lists 0.91 as the latest stable
> version of freetds:
>
> http://freecode.com/projects/freetds
>

> I would like to know:
>
> * What is the latest stable version number today, to which we should update
> our MacPorts package?
>
> * How should MacPorts programmatically determine what the latest stable
> version number is? In other words, what is the URL of a web page whose
> contents we can download and apply a regular expression to determine the
> latest stable version number?
>
> Thank you.

I this there are problems regards:
1- versions
2- directory content
3- automatic scripts

1- the stable version is 0.91, 0.92 is still developing (although we
keep quality high);
2- ftp://ftp.freetds.org/pub/freetds/stable/ contains some file marked
0.92 while it should not;
3- freetds-stable.tgz should be a link that points to the last version
but is not the case. Also current
(ftp://ftp.freetds.org/pub/freetds/stable/) are stuck to 14/4 while
there has been a lot of changes. Also last versions of snapshot does
not contain proper userguide (probably due to some changes I did)

Frediano